Dr. Lorneth Peters is a Small Business Champion and Connector and the Tennessee Small Business Development Center (TSBDC) Director in Clarksville. She holds a bachelor’s degree in Communications, a master’s in Corporate Communications from Austin Peay State University and a Doctorate of Education and Leadership and Professional Practice from Trevecca Nazarene University. Through her work at TSBDC, she connects entrepreneurs and business owners to information and opportunities to help them start and grow their businesses. Under her leadership, the center has assisted over 500 small businesses in the last year and capital infusion for business development has reached $7-million in the previous two years, helping to create jobs and job retention.
Today, Lorneth joins me to discuss how her passion for entrepreneurship and education led her to her current position at the Tennessee Business Development Center. She shares what she enjoys most about working with entrepreneurs and how she helps business owners struggling to stay motivated and develop a business mindset. She highlights some of the common traits among top entrepreneurs and the differences between the SBA, SCORE, SBDCs, and PTACs. Lorneth also shares the first steps you need to take when starting your business and what you should know about your homeowner’s insurance if you are running your business from your home.
“There has to be a shift in your mindset as it pertains to your person and being a business owner. Business owners think differently.” – Dr. Lorneth Peters
Listen to the podcast below:
This week on SmallBizChat Podcast:
- How Lorneth’s passion for entrepreneurship led her to run the Small Business Development Center
- What Lorneth enjoys most about working with entrepreneurs
- How Lorneth helps people that are struggling with their motivation to continue in their business
- Common traits in successful entrepreneurs
- SBA, SCORE, SBDC, and PTAC – what they are and what they do
- The first steps to take when starting a business
- What a BAILS team is and why you need one
- What you need to know about homeowners insurance if you are running a business from home
- How Lorneth helped a business with bad credit fund a second location
- Small Business Administration
- Rocket Lawyer
- Legal Zoom
- Podcast: Business Made Simple
- Book: Rich Dad Poor Dad By Robert Kiyosaki
Connect with Dr. Lorneth Peters:
- TN Small Business Development Center
- TN Small Business Development Center on Facebook
- TN Small Business Development Center on Twitter
- Lorneth Peters on LinkedIn
- Lorneth Peters on Twitter
Want to hear more episodes of The SmallBiz Chat Podcast? Subscribe on your favorite platform so you never miss an episode!
The post The SmallBizChat Podcast: The Business Mindset with Dr. Lorneth Peters appeared first on Succeed As Your Own Boss.